Tuesday, August 5, 2008

cookout?



Why is it called "Cookout" or "Grillout" here in the south? I guess it's because, you are Cooking outside? In California, it's just called "Bar-B-Que time" or "Grillin' somethin' up!"

This past Sunday, I was B-B-Qin' up some grub and the next door neighbor peaked up over the fence and asked me, "What are y'all Cookin' out tonight?" I laughed and explained to her I wasn't cookin' out. I was Grillin' it up tonight!

Also.... We couldn't find a Tri-Tip cut of meat at any grocery store around. All the butchers looked at me funny when I asked. Until one afternoon we were at Costco. I checked out the meats and started to yell, "Jilly! Jilly! Look! Tri-Tips!" I was pretty excited to say the least.

Now if only we could get Foster Farms Chickens too!

5 comments:

Chad Davis said...

Ya'll Fixin' to cook ya out some briskit?

Anonymous said...

Think Tri-tip is a California thing. Your Aunt Margie introduced us to Tri-tip when we got to Fresno. Never heard of it in Texas. Thank God for Costco and Target!

Anonymous said...

Just dyin' to hear yawl startin' to say "ya'wl!" And droppin' ya'wl's g's. And the boys to speak with the southern drawl... Now, that thought is priceless!

Anonymous said...

As soon as I saw the title of your post I thought "good luck finding tri-tip". I occasionally will find a butcher who is willing to cut it once you explain it's the triangular muscle from the bottom sirloin primal cut. Usually they turn it into ground beef.

Try Purdue chicken. It's close and I think Costco carries that too.

Anonymous said...

it's called a cookout or grilling out because that's what you were doing.

bbq is low and slow.

one day i may teach you my ways in the art of bbq