Wednesday, May 24, 2006

auto shop 101.

Have you ever been so angry at yourself, in a situation, that you just started saying cuss words out loud to yourself? Anymore? Anyone? Well.... I did this morning.


(photo from fotosearch.com)

Today my wife got a flat tire while driving to work. She called me and I was there quickly. I got out the jack and tire iron and went to work. On my first attempt I must have had the jack a little bit on unlevel ground so it slipped out. On the next attempt I had the flat tire off the ground, and as I was removing the tire from the truck.... the jack slipped out again! This time the car fell into the brake rotor. This is when I started to yell out those bad words. I was so mad. I hate that stupid bottle jack. But as I was checking the rotor for a huge bend or cracks, it then hit me. The Parking Brake was not on! The rocking movement of the truck was jacking around (no pun intended) with the balance of the bottle jack. After the Parking brake was set it was smooth sailing from then on.

Okay.... I did take auto shop in high school and love it! I should have rememeber the whole parking brake thing. I did some research and find some tips to refresh myself on the task for next time. (Since we have had two flats in fours months.) I need a high school auto shop review course. Plus I love working on cars! I just haven't worked on a vehicle in a year or so. Not since the big tranny change on my bronco. (Man, I miss that truck.) My current little Hyundai needs a little TLC. Maybe I can get my grease monkey fix soon.

My old-truck.

How to change a flat tire tips.

0 comments: